Located in the Huesca Pyrenees in NE Spain, O Chardinet d’a Formiga is a sustainable Casa Rural in Charo village (Sobrarbe region). Not far from stunning nature areas such as Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park, Posets-Maladeta Natural Park and Sierra y Cañones de Guara Natural Park. All of them holding one of the best Spanish populations of alpine species: Boreal Owl, Western Capercaillie, Bearded Vulture, Wallcreeper, Eurasian Black Woodpecker, White-winged Snowfinch and Rock Ptarmigan among many other species.
It is a typical, well-preserved Pyrenean stone farmhouse with rustic, well kept interiors. It has 5 bedrooms, 4 of which are located at the top of the house. All rooms have exterior views. The maximum capacity is for 12 people. Prices range from 68€ for a double room 2 nights minimum and 73€ for a double room for 1 night. Breakfast and dinner (with local and/or organic products) are served on a balcony with lovely views of the valley from which you can see the bird feeders in the garden and species like Red Kites, Griffon, Egyptian and sometimes even Bearded Vultures flying around.
The owners are a biologist and a nature photographer and offer guided birding and botanical excursions.
In addition to other certifications from other organizations, they receive three feathers from Lonely Birder. Welcome on board!
CRITERIA O CHARDINET D’A FORMIGA FULFILLS:
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Nest boxes in the garden or nearby
- Bird feeders in the garden or nearby
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- They offer food and this is good for a great price
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Updated list of birds seen at the establishment
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views
- Safe parking