Jungle Lore Birding Lodge is India’s first and foremost birding lodge and has been key to birding success in this region of the Himalayas foothills. Owned by Asian Adventures, one of the most veteran ecotourism companies in the country. It is undoubtedly the best place to stay in the area. The famous Corbett National Park is situated 80 kilometers from Pangot.
The entire drive is through the forested area of Cheena Peak Range via Snow View Point and Kilbury, the main habitats for excellent birding. The forests of Pangot and surrounding areas are dominated by thick Oak, Pine and Rhododendron. The streams passing by the area makes it even more attractive place. The district of Nainital covers the tropical, sub-tropical, temperate, sub-alpine and alpine zones. The terai & bhabar belt presents the climate of the plains while the deep valleys with elevation upto 1000 Mts. play host to varied types of animal , birds, trees typical of hills as well as plains.
Jungle Lore Birding Lodge has 5 cottages with attached toilets with running hot and cold water.
One of the cottages is a living room that serves as a common dining hall giving travelers a chance to meet other like- minded nature lovers. The kitchen serves a variety of scrumptious traditional Indian homemade meals and they are happy to customize dishes according to your preferences. Special care is taken in hygienic preparation of all meals.
The other cottages are independent bedrooms with twin beds. Two of them have wooden attics and each attic can accommodate two – three additional persons. The cottages are located on different terraces; each one has its own sit-out area. Heaters are provided in each cottage during winters.
A photography hide is available at one of the ponds in the gardens where you can photograph one of the main targets in the area such as Black-headed Jay, Red-billed Blue Magpie, Rufous Sibia, several species of Laughingthrush (Striated, White-throated or Streaked among others). Jungle Lore is also an excellent base camp for the three pheasants present in the area: Kalij, Koklass and especially the endemic Cheer Pheasant. It is also an excellent starting point for prospecting the Nainital area.
CRITERIA JUNGLE LORE BIRDING LODGE FULFILLS
- The establishment must be situated in a natural area or nearby
- The establishment has information available about birds of the area
- Guiding services must be available on site or at least the contacts of the local guides in the area
- A library area has to be available for clients with at least ten books and one specialised birding magazine
- Flexible timetables (i.e. early breakfast before sunrise, late check-in available after sunset and also for example late dinner served for those birders who are out late birding in spring and summer)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participation in research and/or conservationist projects
- There are birding routes close to the establishment
- Food is served and this is good or very good quality/price value
- Nest boxes in the garden or nearby
- Bird feeders in the garden
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- Updated bird list of birds seen at the establishment
- Sale of birding souvenirs (books, field guides, posters, t-shirts…) or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Photography hides available (their own or another company’s)
- They have a book where clients can record the ornithological sightings
- Themed decoration
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views and guests can birdwatch from the same
- Library with more than 20 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Safe parking