Andalusia, Spain: next to the Alcornocales Natural Park and the Strait of Gibraltar.
An ideal base for birding the area, lying between ideal points for viewing raptor and other soaring bird migration on spring and autumn. By looking skyward at these times you will be rewarded with views of scores of Black Kite, Booted Eagle and Short-toed Snake-eagle among others.
Ideally situated between two natural parks (Alcornocales and Estrecho), the surrounding finca is spectacular and offers many interesting observations at a stone´s-throw. The humid microclimate allows plants and trees to flourish, particularly the really tall Bay trees that are remanants of the Atlantic Laurel Forest that once covered the area. The most biodiversity is to be found in the streams that cross the property. It’s easy to see Firecrest, Iberian Chiffchaff, Crested Tit, Jay and others here, as well as many raptors at migration time.A pair of Tawny Owl are resident in the woods between the cabins and are easily seen.
The wooden cabins are separated from each other by the peripheral fence of the property, offering peace and quiet. They house between 2 and 4 persons. There are also 3 houses with 6 – 12 places that have a sense of history, dating back to World War II. All are comfortable andd fully-equipped.
Photographical courses and ornithological trips are offered, as well as a multitude of adventure activities. The most popular tours visit the Atlantic forest of northern Morocco, Doñana National Park, the Sierra of Ronda, and areas good for migration in spring and autumn. Since 2014 the Migration Festival takes place in March and is a must for migration lovers with its many ornithological conferences and talks.
Bird tour groups from all over the world are welcome and three professional guides are available.
Criteria Huerta Grande fulfills
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 5 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Good food for a great price
- Nest boxes in the garden
- Bird feeders in the garden
- Bird baths in the garden
- Sale of souvenirs
- They have a guest book and a book where they record the ornithological records
- Themed decoration
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views
- Library with more than 10 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Free wi-fi
- Safe private parking