Atop a small hill in the heart of the Trujillo- Santa Marta de Magasca plains (Extremadura, SW Spain) is Casa Rural Las Canteras, sits this old farmhouse of the late 19th century, fully restored and perfectly refurbished. From here you can see some of the most emblematic species of the area: Great and Little Bustards, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Eurasian Black Vulture or even Spanish Imperial Eagle among many others. Its strategic location, just 12km from Trujillo, makes it an ideal base for exploring some of the best birding sites in Extremadura such as Monfragüe National Park, Llanos de Caceres, Llanos de Belén, etc.
The house has nine double rooms. All rooms have a private bathroom and views of the surrounding fields. They also have central heating. Opposite the house there is a covered porch from which you can eat and bird all at once. The picturesque White Stork colony on the property offers excellent opportunities for birders with more photographic concerns.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable but one of the strengths of Las Canteras is undoubtedly the kitchen, run by Pilar, Paco’s mother. Traditional recipes from Extremadura use local, high-quality ingredients to ensure guests feel right at home! Well deserving of the Lonely Birder 4 feather rating we have awarded them.
CRITERIA LAS CANTERAS FULFILLS
- The establishment must be situated in a natural area or nearby
- The establishment has information available about birds of the area
- Guiding services must be available on site or at least the contacts of the local guides in the area
- A library area has to be available for clients with at least ten books and one specialised birding magazine
- Flexible timetables (i.e. early breakfast before sunrise, late check-in available after sunset and also for example late dinner served for those birders who are out late birding in spring and summer)
- There are birding routes close to the establishment
- Food is served and this is good or very good quality/price value
- Bird feeders in the garden
- Updated bird list of birds seen at the establishment
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy (bioconstruction criteria, biomass…)
- Sale of birding souvenirs (books, field guides, posters, t-shirts…) or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Photography hides available (their own or another company’s)
- They have a book where clients can record the ornithological sightings
- Themed decoration
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views and guests can birdwatch from the same
- Safe parking