This country B&B is located in the Arkamo Mountains, a Protected Nature Area and part of the Nature 2000 Network. It is near both the Valderejo Natural Park and the Montes Obarenes Natural Park which are great places for forest and mountain and birding. They have a considerable griffon vulture colony on the cliffs and it is also possible to see Bonelli’s eagle. In the rivers you will find otter as well as some of the endangered European mink. The Sobrón Reservoir is a good place to observe aquatic and migrating birds.
The lower level is handicapped accesible with a double bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and a spacious living room / dining room with a fireplace. The upper floor has four double bedrooms and two bathrooms. There is a multipurpose room with a terrace that can be used for seminars, workshops and meetings. There is a large naturalist library with many documentaries that may be used when requested by the owners. The house is rented exclusively for 10 people (5 bedrooms) or for 6 people (3 bedrooms).
They also offer a unique experience called “birding donkeys” which is what the title hints at: birding with donkeys which provide pleasent company and also a little help with carrying all the optic material.
The owners are involved both personally and professionally in nature, its conservation and research as well as the sustainable development of the rural population. They are birders and also do bird ringing and are very knowledgeable on the area birds and can give you information on the local fauna and the best routes to take from the accommodation.
Criteria Arkamo Atea fulfills
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Updated bird list of birds seen at the establishment
- Nest boxes in the garden
- Bird feeders in the garden
- Bird baths in the garden
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- They have a guest book and a book where they record the ornithological records
- Themed decoration
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views
- Library with more than 20 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Safe parking