Located in the small and quiet heart of rural Loporzano, right at the entrance to La Sierra y los Cañones de Guara Natural Park. This is a sancturay for bearded vultures and one of the best spots to see wallcreepers in the winter among many other Mediterranean mountain species.
When you reach the door of this veteran bed and breakfast, which happens to be adorned with a wallcreeper posing as a door knocker, you can observe from the start the passion that the owners, Josele and Esther, have for birds. Inside the house, practically everything references both local and worldwide ornithology: from an extensive specialised library to all different types of photographs, paintings and posters decorating the walls.
In the cozy and cool sitting room you can enjoy a book in the comfortable armchairs under the wide stone arches, or warmed by the fire in the winter.
All the meals are homemade by Esther who goes to great lengths to cook Mediterranean dishes using seasonal products. The menu can be modified for vegetarian and vegan restrictions with previous notice. Very good quality/price value with a different daily menu.
For lunch they can prepare a packed lunch with two sandwiches (one cooked and another cold), juice, chocolate bar and fruit. Breakfasts are served early in order to better take advantage of the early morning birding.
Casa Boletas completes a total of 105 points based on the criteria specified below, which adds up to 5 feathers! It’s an honor for us to certify Casa Boletas based on their trajectory and accumulated experience in birding.
Criteria Casa Boletas fulfills
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Good food for a great price
- Nest boxes in the garden
- Bird feeders in the garden
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- Updated bird list of birds seen at the establishment
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- They have a book where clients can record the ornithological sightings
- Photography hides available
- The establishment has lovely views
- Themed decoration
- Library with more than 20 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Free wi-fi
- Safe parking