Located at the gates of the Montgrí, Illes Medes i Baix Ter Natural Park. From the campground you can see some of the Bonelli’s eagles, peregrine falcons or Eurasian eagle-owls that breed on the cliffs of the Montgrí. The Ter Vell, a small wetland near the town of Estartit, is just 10 min. away where you will be able to find interesting species in the winter like bitterns, otter and others. This is a good base to use if you want to explore other protected areas in the Baix Empordà such as the rice fields of Pals and the Illes Medes.
The campground facilities are open from May through September and have a capacity for 5000 people. This is a great option for birders that travel with families since the facilities are within an enclosed area and offer educational activities for children like the farm-garden school, nest box building and other animal educational activities.
This is one of only two campgrounds with the Lonely Birder Approved hallmark (the other is camping Castell Mar) and it has 5 feathers.
Criteria El Camping Castell Montgrí fulfills
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Good food for a great price
- Nest boxes in the garden or nearby
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy (solar panels)
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does (There is an Interpretation Centre nearby as well as a store that sell bird-decorated porcelain that the owner makes)
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- The establishment has lovely views
- Library with more than 20 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Free wi-fi (15’/day)
- Safe parking