Strategically located within the Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park, less than 15 minutes from the Cap de Creus Natural Park and 30 minutes from the Massís de l’Albera Natural Park. Right next to the campground there is a small colony of stilts. At the beach there are Kentish plover nests and less than ten minutes away at the Tec and Pericos Lagoons you can find bitterns, flamingos, anatidae, waders and different surprises during migration season.
This is one of only two campgrounds with the Lonely Birder Approved hallmark (the other is camping Castell Montgrí) thanks to the director, Jordi Sargatal who is one of the main people responsible for the fact that the Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park hasn’t become a memory buried beneath tons of concrete and asphalt. Little by little this campground has integrated itself into the surrounding nature, bringing the fauna to its visitors through nest boxes, ponds, bird feeders, etc. The employees of this veteran campground are so dedicated to the cause that they guarantee mud for the house martins that breed in the area and refuse to aggressively prune the mulberry bushes that shade the plots to ensure that they provide fruit for the birds.
With all of this they deserve their 5 feathers!
The campground offers prices for even the tightest budget. They have plots for tents as well as bungalows for 4 people that run at 10 € per person during low season. These prices coincide with months that are good for birding (May and the second half of September). The campground is only open from May through September.
They offer a program of activities with environmental classes (such as building nest boxes), children’s activities, recycling workshops, guided birding walks, etc.
For those birdwatchers with dogs, this is an ideal place! They have bag dispensers to pick up after your pet, a nearby shower for when you come back from the beach (one of the few beaches that allow dogs) and best of all, they even have a dog menu at the restaurant!
Criteria Camping Castell Mar fulfills
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Good food for a great price
- Nest boxes in the garden or nearby
- Bird feeders in the garden or nearby
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- Updated list of birds, mammals and butterflies seen at the establishment
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- They have a book where clients can record the ornithological sightings
- Themed decoration
- The establishment has lovely views
- Library with more than 20 specialised books and more than 2 specialised magazines
- Free wi-fi
- Safe parking