Country in located at the gates of the Cabañeros National Park in Ciudad Real. This is the most valuable protected area of the Toledo Mountains and is home to the peninsula’s large raptors, Black Storks and many other endangered species. The extensive landscapes are covered in rich patures that feed a multitude of animals. The mountains covered in forest and Mediterranen scrubland provide shelter for a variety of birds and mammals. There are over 200 different species of birds here such as large raptors like the Spanish Imperial Eagle, Golden Eagle, Black Vulture and Griffon Vulture. There are also mammals such as Red Deer, Roe Deer, Wild Boar, Eurasian Otter, reptiles, amphibians and an exceptional flora overall with over 1,000 species.
During our visit here we saw Golden Eagle, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Black Vulture, Black-winged Kite, Cranes, Great Egret, Kingfisher, etc. from the doorstep!
The house has two double rooms for 4 people, two bathrooms, a garden and a vegetable garden, a barbecue grill, children’s toys and a heated pool. The house is rented exclusively for 250€ for the weekend for 4 people or 220€ for 2 people. The patio with the pool and garden is shared with the owners who use the second house however if the guests prefer to be alone, it can be arranged with the owners.
At the Abuela María in addition to nature and astronomy, you can also enjoy lovely bioenergetic massages at the experienced hands of Hilaria, the manager of the house.
La Abuela María de Cabañeros is Lonely Birder Approved with 5 feathers and fulfills the following critieria:
- Located in a nature area
- Provides information on birds of the area
- Offers guiding services through local guides
- Has a library with at least 10 specialised books and 1 magazine
- Flexible times (early breakfast, late check-in and dinner)
- The owners are members of conservation societies
- Active participants in research and conservation studies
- Birdwathing routes near the establishment
- Nest boxes in the garden or nearby
- Bird feeders in the garden or nearby
- Bird baths in the garden or nearby
- Updated list of birds, mammals and butterflies seen at the establishment
- Use of energy efficient mechanisms and renewable energy
- Photography hides available
- Sale of souvenirs or there is a nearby specialised establishment that does
- Promote the conservation of birds and their environment
- They have a book where clients can record the ornithological sightings
- Themed decoration
- The establishment has lovely views
- Free wi-fi
- Safe parking